Value Proposition and Overview
What is the PMF Program?
The Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program was established by Executive Order in 1977 to attract to the Federal service outstanding men and women from a variety of academic disciplines and career paths, who have a clear interest in, and commitment to, excellence in the leadership and management of public policies and programs. By drawing graduate students from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, the PMF Program provides a continuing source of trained men and women to meet the future challenges of public service.
The About Us webpage contains an introduction about the PMF Program and includes all the Program Policies.
How does the PMF Program work for Federal Agencies?
- Recruit the Best: We recruit thousands of recent or current graduates through a network of graduate schools. Many have extensive prior experience in public administration, technology, science, health, human resources, business, and financial management that can be invaluable to your agency.
- Pre-Qualify Finalists: OPM assesses each candidate on several competencies, to include: adaptability, integrity, interpersonal skills, motivation to serve, oral/written communications, and problem solving. Finalists are pre-qualified at the GS-9 level, although agencies may initially appoint at the GS-9 through 12, or equivalent.
- Hire All Year: Agencies can post available appointment, rotational, and training opportunities to the PMF TMS (Talent Management System). To recruit Finalists for PMF appointments, the agency would post an appointment opportunity. Rotational opportunities are specific to current Fellows.
- Develop New Leaders: Fellows receive 80 hours of formal interactive training each year (for a total of 160 hours) and participate in a 4 to 6 developmental assignment during their two-year fellowships. Agencies can also sponsor Fellows for optional rotational assignments.
How do I get started?
- First, talk to your Agency PMF Coordinator to discuss how to get started. If you are new to participating in the PMF Program, please follow the instructions on designating an Agency PMF Coordinator found under the Resources webpage. Each participating Federal agency identifies an Agency PMF Coordinator to support their PMF Program participation.
- Participate in the Hiring Event. Agencies can participate in the OPM-sponsored hiring events to connect with hundreds of Finalists available for hire. Additional information can be found on the Hiring Event webpage, under Find Candidates. Agencies should prepare position descriptions, interview questions, and information about the agency.
- Advertise Your Positions. The PMF Program uses a Talent Management System (TMS) to advertise appointment opportunities for Finalists and rotational opportunties for current Fellows.
- Current Finalists: Upon official selection and announcement of Finalists, a list will be available on the PMF website. However, once the appointment eligibility period expires, the current lists of Finalists will be removed. Finalists have 12 months to accept and start a PMF appointment before their appointment eligibility expires.
- Hiring a Presidential Management Fellow Fact Sheet [47 KB]: This fact sheet is intended for PMF Program supervisors and hiring officials to explain the hiring process and the various stages of a typical fellowship. Although the fact sheet has not yet been updated to reflect newer regulations, as a result of the Pathways Programs final rule that took effect on July 10, 2012, it provides a general overview on the hiring process.